For the weeks of Sept 26 and Oct 3 2016
Greetings OpenChannels Community Members,
We're back to our normal Weekly Update schedule! Apologies for the delay there. There are a number of webinars that are now archived from the previous two weeks. Also, we have two upcoming webinars this month I wanted to alert you all to:
- Characterizing the lobster fishery for future use in ocean planning on October 18 at 1pm EDT / 10am PDT / 5pm UTC
- Demonstration of the DigitalGlobe InsightExplorer Marine Mapping Program and its IUU Fishing Applications on October 25 at 1pm US EDT / 10am US PDT / 5pm UTC
Thank you for being a part of the OpenChannels Community,
-Nick Wehner, OpenChannels Project Manager, and the rest of the OpenChannels Team
PS: The next Literature Update will be sent out on Wednesday, October 12.
*News Update — 32 new posts this week*
- Poor communication hurts coast management, UO study says – https://oct.to/OC315.
- European Commission refers UK to court over its failure to protect marine species –https://oct.to/OC316.
- Investigation of East Flower Garden Bank coral die-off continues amid new coral bleaching event –https://oct.to/OC317.
- Call for Churna, Miani Hor islands (Pakistan) to be declared marine protected areas –https://oct.to/OC318.
- St. George, Alaska, applies for marine sanctuary – https://oct.to/OC319.
- Marine spatial planning group inaugurated in Namibia – https://oct.to/OC320.
*Webinar Update — 3 new archived webinars this week*.
- Ocean Highlights from the IUCN World Conservation Congress – https://oct.to/OC322.
- The Barcelona Convention efforts towards achieving Aichi Target 11 in the Mediterranean region: Roadmap for a Comprehensive Coherent network of Well-Managed MPAs to Achieve Aichi Target 11 in the Mediterranean – https://oct.to/OC323.
- Challenges and opportunities of marine protected areas in the Mediterranean –https://oct.to/OC324.
*October issue of Marine Ecosystems and Management (MEAM) now available*
- From the Editor: Training the next generation of MSP practitioners – https://oct.to/MEAM24.
- Impact investing for ocean ecosystems and users: Capital available, but projects needed! –https://oct.to/MEAM25.
- Tundi’s Take: Is blue growth taking us where we want to go? – https://oct.to/MEAM26.
- The EBM Toolbox: Tools for crowdsourcing data and collaborative mapping –https://oct.to/MEAM27.
- Latest News and Resources for Ocean Planners – https://oct.to/MEAM28.
- From My Bookshelf: The Once and Future Ocean – Notes Toward a New Hydraulic Society –https://oct.to/MEAM29.